Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Thingy 9: Online collaboration tools

We have Google Docs on our Internet menu for our patrons to use because we don't have a full word-processing program on our public Internet stations. I think that tools like Google Docs or Zoho Writer are most helpful in a situation like that or if you are traveling or collaborating with people in different locations or workplaces. Otherwise I would normally say I prefer a full program like Microsoft Word and using shared folders for collaboration. However, I recently lost a rather important document in Word because I did not save it correctly (talk about a senior blonde moment!) so maybe I'm not so sure. We also use a wiki here at my library, but I see that's another thingy...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another online collaboration option is a product made by HyperOffice. They've been in the area for years, so they're not just a johnny-come-lately to the field. Their product is best for small to medium sized companies looking for a Microsoft Exchange alternative to handle email, file sharing, sharing outlook calendars, etc. It's worth a look if you're in the market.