Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thingy 10: Wiki Wonderland

We changed our internal library Intranet into a wiki about a year ago. The wiki format makes it easier for anyone to add information and edit, kind of like an electronic bulletin board. I was really impressed with some of the library wikis out there and the creative uses librarians found for promoting new books/materials information, subject guides, community resources, directories, patron feedback, and more. I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog for a virtual bookgroup, but perhaps a wiki would be the way to go. I have to admit that I've found Wikipedia extremely helpful as a starting point for finding information on some pretty obscure topics--it often includes maps, timelines, and bibliographies of resources for further research. And it can be an ego booster when you find something that is blatantly wrong (or ego deflater depending on which side of the screen you're on). I wouldn't promote the practice of limiting information by format but would urge students/patrons to consider the source. I also take into consideration that by the time patrons approach me at the reference desk they have already seen the Wikipedia and other googled information; it's my job to go beyond. I'll be heading over to visit the 23 Things wiki shortly.

1 comment:

Carl Anderson said...

Perhaps voicethread would be an ideal venue (or at least a great addition to you wiki) for a book club. It would be a way to get a voice discussion going. Maybe you could have a wiki for the group and a voicethread for each book.