Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thing 14: The Library Thing Thing

I started adding and tagging some books I have recently read or am currently reading. While it was fun and the site was attractive, I admit that it took me some time to figure out how Library Thing could be worthwhile or useful to an individual or to a library. But now that I have done some exploring and some more tagging, I am hooked on Library Thing! I may even have to splurge on a paid account so I can enter and catalog ALL my books. Libraries can create subject lists; school/ academic libraries can tag books according to a specific class or program. Book groups can use for discussion and sharing information; individuals can find others with similar interests. I'm not sure how well it would work for older books, though I see you can also search the LOC for bibliographic information. A friend of mine (a non-librarian) is looking for a way to catalog his collection of rare books--I'm not sure this is it. He's also concerned about privacy. I have a collection of Modern Library editions that I'd like to tag if I can find them via LT.

No comments: